Skip to main content

Featured

2018 in Books #1 : Outliers

My membership at the Evanston Public Library is my best-worst decision. Best, because I now have e-books delivered right into my Kindle without having me trudge in snow to borrow or return a book and the worst, because it is going to make me lazy and unfit.  Cut to the chase, Outliers has been a good start to 2018. At a modest 300 odd pages, Malcolm Gladwell writes a deeply researched and critically analysed account of success stories that we know of.  | The biggest takeaway you can get from Outliers  is the "other side" of stories, which are often ignored for the sake of glorification of the achievement. | It was enjoyable to see how tiny, seemingly inconsequential factors can help a person go a long way. A popular example the book talks about is Bill Gates' rise as a billionaire when he was a college dropout.  Treating his story superficially has led to popularizing the opinion, "hey, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg were college drop outs

RunScape


Therapy.
I cannot stress how refreshing running out on Mumbai streets can be. During and after the run I can feel all endorphins, epinephrine, norepinephrine and oxytocin rush to my head. It is biochemistry after all!

There is a little thing I have decided to do as I enjoy running on the road so much -  to explore good roads of Mumbai with my running shoes. I have to emphasize "good" as I am going to avoid the pothole ridden ones to save my ankle from another tissue tear and physiotherapy sessions. Ugh.

Yesterday, I woke up at 6, took a train to Bandra and had a good run around the place ending my tryst at Jogger's Park where I clicked this. Not a typical Sunday. While blood rushed to my face leaving it warm and pink all over, the cool  breeze blew on my skin, leaving traces of sticky salt. It was a humid Sunday morning and I was drenched in perspiration. My feet were a tad sore, my calves strained but all these paled in comparison to the serenity that stretched out in my head, where things seemed a lot clearer than what they did earlier. This had me surprised as I had spent the hour (and about half) listening to Bollywood dance music after which I ordinarily feel brain dead.
(or brain death is serenity, that's another way to look at it)

Here is to freedom and hope that I run in a new location soon! 

Comments

Popular Posts