Skip to main content

Featured

2018 in Books #1 : Outliers

My membership at the Evanston Public Library is my best-worst decision. Best, because I now have e-books delivered right into my Kindle without having me trudge in snow to borrow or return a book and the worst, because it is going to make me lazy and unfit.  Cut to the chase, Outliers has been a good start to 2018. At a modest 300 odd pages, Malcolm Gladwell writes a deeply researched and critically analysed account of success stories that we know of.  | The biggest takeaway you can get from Outliers  is the "other side" of stories, which are often ignored for the sake of glorification of the achievement. | It was enjoyable to see how tiny, seemingly inconsequential factors can help a person go a long way. A popular example the book talks about is Bill Gates' rise as a billionaire when he was a college dropout.  Treating his story superficially has led to popularizing the opinion, "hey, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg were college drop outs

Kaunsi Jeans Lu?

A friend told me that writing about my struggles will reach out to more people and get them to read this post so here goes.

Every 2 years, I pick myself up, drag myself to a store to make a decision after a gruesome trial - what jeans do I pick? I ain't choosy. I just want something that feels comfortable. That's a fair demand, comfort is what I look for in clothing.

Mere jeans ke pairs
Ever since I've moved to the adult section of clothing, I have a stare down with the jeans rack in front of me.
Skinny fit
Pencil fit.
Low waist skinny/slim fit.
High waist skinny/slim fit.
Slim fit.
Jeggings.
Ripped.
Wash.
Okay, where are NORMAL jeans? It's not too hard making them. What generally took me 10 minutes top to decide now was a task. I have absolutely no idea if I'm skinny or slim or a pencil, wtf?! Also, who decides what's skinny and slim? There are absolutely no universal standards, each brand decides for themselves so I HAVE to try on every pair.
Begrudgingly I picked and tried on a pair from each type. Of course it took ages. (I have a rule of thumb that any jeans in which I can do leg raises in are my baes. If you catch a chick at a store trying out kick boxing in jeans it's either me or my closest friends.) Although I call myself slim, pencil jeans are a terror. I have absolutely no idea what kind of legs, sticks fit through them. I gave up when I realised I could not pull them above my knee.
Slim fit ones are okay-ish. High waist ones were another horror, I could hear my crotch practically scream for breath. I had never imagined buying a pair of jeans would be an arduous process.
Low waist ones work okay if you have a good girth-y waist. I need a belt. Being short sucks. You have jeans that are extremely tight but the right length, or a right fit at the waist but crumple near your ankles. So call the tailor, have them altered and get your purchase a couple of days later. I miss the times when I could simply walk out of the store, happily with my unaltered purchase. 
I finally found the desired looseness in ripped jeans. For a moment, I felt blissful till the frays began tickling my knees and I decided that that was that. (That's a lot of thats, sorry for that)
Finally, I tried on jeggings that work absolutely great if you have that in between body shape. They're snug and often fit well. <Insert blushing smiley>
While I still cannot make a definitive choice, I know what kind of jeans I MUST NOT pick. That's good for now, I'll learn soon.
This too shall pass.

Comments

Popular Posts