Skip to main content

Featured

2018 in Books #1 : Outliers

My membership at the Evanston Public Library is my best-worst decision. Best, because I now have e-books delivered right into my Kindle without having me trudge in snow to borrow or return a book and the worst, because it is going to make me lazy and unfit.  Cut to the chase, Outliers has been a good start to 2018. At a modest 300 odd pages, Malcolm Gladwell writes a deeply researched and critically analysed account of success stories that we know of.  | The biggest takeaway you can get from Outliers  is the "other side" of stories, which are often ignored for the sake of glorification of the achievement. | It was enjoyable to see how tiny, seemingly inconsequential factors can help a person go a long way. A popular example the book talks about is Bill Gates' rise as a billionaire when he was a college dropout.  Treating his story superficially has led to popularizing the opinion, "hey, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg were college drop outs

Top 10 songs on my playlist

Listening to a number of genres makes writing this post a real task. But, bless my "Frequently Played" playlist that automatically lets me know which are the songs I often listen to on loop.
Here is my list (in no particular order, though)!

Manmarziyan, Shilpa Rao, Lootera
Shilpa Rao's deep voice suits this melancholic yet mellifluous song like no other. An excellent santoor riff and the best writing in recent Bollywood songs.

I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, U2, No Line on the Horizon
In my opinion, U2's best song. I cannot express how much I adore the music and lyrics in this and how they simply speak out to me. A mention of any line from here will have me singing at the top of my lungs!

My Way, Frank Sinatra
The best song that begs you to be yourself and live your life the way you like it. "I did it my way". Frank Sinatra has a way of lifting my mood up and loving what I do without regrets.

Bolivar Blues, Thelonious Monk, Monk's Dream
Such a lively piece of jazz, it's hard not to tap your feet along to this. Bolivar Blues plays out a conversation between the saxophone and the piano with swing drums occasionally chiming in.

Kaatrin Mozhi (The Language of the Wind)
This is a Tamil song about the language of nature and earth. Poetic as ever, my favourite line translates to "If man could learn the language of nature, we'd need nothing else to understand each other".

Lasya, Anoushka Shankar, Traces of You
Far more progressive and experimental than her father, the revered Pt. Ravi Shankar, Lasya is a musical delicacy. You can hear such a genuine feminine appeal in this song amidst very soothing beats of a hang drum (do Google hang drum instrumentals, they are uber relaxing).

The Great Gig in the Sky, Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon
I took a liking to this after reading Nick Mason's Inside Out that explained the significance of this track. Deeply layered, what seems like orgasmic moans are symbolic of the human denial of death followed by acceptance in the second half of the song. Also, keep a ear out for the little whisper that says, "If you hear this whispering, you're dying."

Can't Find My Way Home, Blind Faith
"Well I'm near the end and I just don't have the time" reads my Instagram bio. Steve Winwood, you delight. Listen to this one when you simply want to unwind with a dessert or wine (or both).

I Am Mine, Pearl Jam
Pearl Jam is known for the songs with dark themes. "I am Mine" is a deeply motivating song on self realisation and self centeredness. "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine, I am mine"

Gold On The Ceiling, The Black Keys, El Camino
Garage rock with a hint of blues. Hear this for quirky vocals and sublime guitar riffs.

Comments

Popular Posts