Skip to main content

Featured

2018 in Books #1 : Outliers

My membership at the Evanston Public Library is my best-worst decision. Best, because I now have e-books delivered right into my Kindle without having me trudge in snow to borrow or return a book and the worst, because it is going to make me lazy and unfit.  Cut to the chase, Outliers has been a good start to 2018. At a modest 300 odd pages, Malcolm Gladwell writes a deeply researched and critically analysed account of success stories that we know of.  | The biggest takeaway you can get from Outliers  is the "other side" of stories, which are often ignored for the sake of glorification of the achievement. | It was enjoyable to see how tiny, seemingly inconsequential factors can help a person go a long way. A popular example the book talks about is Bill Gates' rise as a billionaire when he was a college dropout.  Treating his story superficially has led to popularizing the opinion, "hey, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg were college drop outs

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

No, it's not a kinky post.


The first contemporary swing band I'm listening to and it's Big Bad Voodoo Daddy.
On the lookout for new music, I simply Googled recent swing bands and I picked them only because I liked their name and it reminded me of some stuff, which I'm not revealing right now; calm your tits.
Go Daddy-O!, Save My Soul. These might sprout different connotations in your head but oh la la, these are my top two tracks followed very closely by Why Me? and Mambo Swing. I had considered myself inclining towards instrumentals but these vocals sure had me grinning. I'd call them the Black Keys of jazz. It's a chronologically incorrect analogy as BBVD have been at their game for a couple of decades while the Black Keys are far younger but, I heard the latter first which should justify my case.
Their music is flirtatious, playing it hot and cold leaving you yearning for more with sublime sax performances in between.
Check them out here:
https://youtu.be/a3Z4RWZa9WA

Comments

Popular Posts