Skip to main content

Featured

2018 in Books #1 : Outliers

My membership at the Evanston Public Library is my best-worst decision. Best, because I now have e-books delivered right into my Kindle without having me trudge in snow to borrow or return a book and the worst, because it is going to make me lazy and unfit.  Cut to the chase, Outliers has been a good start to 2018. At a modest 300 odd pages, Malcolm Gladwell writes a deeply researched and critically analysed account of success stories that we know of.  | The biggest takeaway you can get from Outliers  is the "other side" of stories, which are often ignored for the sake of glorification of the achievement. | It was enjoyable to see how tiny, seemingly inconsequential factors can help a person go a long way. A popular example the book talks about is Bill Gates' rise as a billionaire when he was a college dropout.  Treating his story superficially has led to popularizing the opinion, "hey, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg were college drop outs

Focus ya nahin?

Over the last 1.5 years I have faced many dilemmas and in all such moments when I just needed someone to talk to, I would drop an email to a very kind, humane person, a professor (surprise!) asking him if I may meet and speak with him.

Some of you already know who this is, but let's respect his identity and privacy. :p

We've spoken about a million topics, from books, careers, universities, new science, drinking, philosophy, behavioural economics  wow the list is endless. Although, there's always been one common thread in all conversations and that is being open minded.

A little background about myself - several things interest me at the same time. It's a good thing, he says, to have multiple interests. But none are truly "my calling" or "this is it". Biotech has been the closest, I'm certain I want to work in the field. Then again, within biotech there are thousands of things happening, again all fascinate me so I'm circling back to start, almost.

Anyway, this topic always has resulted in us debating and arguing. I feel that having such a plethora of interests and choices only seems to confuse me more. He believes that too much focus isn't a good thing either, it restricts one's views to a large extent.

Both are true and ideally, ideally I should meet somewhere halfway.

Personally, I do prefer being uh, unsure to put it as it has only led me to explore new avenues and meet more people in the process. And it's been great, experiencing all these things in a bid to find what truly interests me! I've learnt a lot, I know a lot more now and if I could go back in time and talk to my younger self, I'd tell her "no spoilers, keep an open mind, not so open that your brains fall off but keep observing and discovering!"

Ha, that's such a Whovian thing to do :') #nospoilers

Comments

Popular Posts