Skip to main content

Featured

2018 in Books #1 : Outliers

My membership at the Evanston Public Library is my best-worst decision. Best, because I now have e-books delivered right into my Kindle without having me trudge in snow to borrow or return a book and the worst, because it is going to make me lazy and unfit.  Cut to the chase, Outliers has been a good start to 2018. At a modest 300 odd pages, Malcolm Gladwell writes a deeply researched and critically analysed account of success stories that we know of.  | The biggest takeaway you can get from Outliers  is the "other side" of stories, which are often ignored for the sake of glorification of the achievement. | It was enjoyable to see how tiny, seemingly inconsequential factors can help a person go a long way. A popular example the book talks about is Bill Gates' rise as a billionaire when he was a college dropout.  Treating his story superficially has led to popularizing the opinion, "hey, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg were college drop outs

Being Moo

I am a cow in a city. Born as a little calf, the world was introduced to me with a thud. There was soft heather below me. As I scrambled to my feed for my first feed I heard the humans cheer. My birth was to be celebrated unlike their girl's.

The loud noises on the road snapped me back to reality, back to India. While I walk the streets with the bell jingling, and my caretaker shouting out that God has arrived, I'm bewildered and amused. I'm bestowed with luxuries, asked for blessings, worshipped and fed heartily by anyone who comes out of a temple.  I'm sacred and protected, I'm honoured and respected..

While I indulge in these luxuries bestowed upon me by this higher species, I notice some males leer at a female. Probably a mating exercise, I mused. I watch as they stare at a woman with the sleeveless kurti, making her shift uncomfortably as she awaits her bus. Wolf whistling, jeering, grabs, rubs, accidental bumps, I see them all as I chew my cud. Poor species. Their defence lies in moving in herds in broad daylight. But I have nothing to worry about. I'm safe, I'm protected unlike them.

In the dead of the night, I felt a stealth reach out to me and take me away to a forlorn place with an overbearing stench. A jolt through my head, my world turning upside down, blood rushing to my head. While I find my body butchered, my spirit stays alive. I know my importance. I know the higher species will react and create a furor. Even the ones who dig their teeth into my flesh will be brought to their knees, pushed behind bars for committing a crime so heinous. My moos will always be heard. My kind will be saved from slaughter and abuse for eternity. Even in death, the law will uphold me, my rights and my existence.

***
Gau rakshak toh bohot hai, naari rakshak aap khud hai.
Always protect yourself.


Comments

Popular Posts